RETURN to Home Page
ICEBOX GALLERY PRESENTS:
American Moments photography by the New York based / Minnesota born photographer Toby Old.
Toby Old creates square B&W film based photographs. Each image is a transitory window that becomes a voyeuristic portal into a carnival of frozen moments that only happened once.
Toby Old was born in Stillwater, MN and graduated from the University of Minnesota. His street work has been associated with the likes of Minnesota photographers Tom Arndt, Ray Muxter and Danny Seymour. His curious and compassionate interest in humanity has also been likened to the tradition set forth by the likes of Robert Frank, Diane Arbus and Larry Clark.
American Moments features 30 iconic images from several series of social and cultural experiences that Toby Old has created over his career that began in the 1970’s. Old has exhibited widely including his solo show at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts in 2002. He has published four books to date and is currently working on a series about religion.
American Moments are unique images that range from bizarre to humorous. The images stop time and force the viewer to become a voyeur of a decisive moment. Work in the exhibit exposes the sub cultures of the NY fashion world and the disco scene. Other images penetrate the walls of an insane asylum to confront the lonely faces of madness. Toby Old’s curious camera and flash give you a front row seat at a boxing ring. Next image takes you outside to witness circus performers with snakes, high diving horses, and bears riding motorcycles. Other images will take you inside a mysterious religious theme park The Holy Land Experience in Florida, others take place outside like the image of NYC street performers dancing and leaping cheerleaders forever suspended in mid-air.
Toby Old’s images are beautifully printed frozen moments of reality that transform in the instant of the shutter our ordinary world into an elaborately detailed stage play of metaphoric experiences.
Toby Old will be attending his opening through out the Art-A-Whirl weekend May 16-17-18.
ARTIST RECEPTION Saturday May 17, 2014, 8:00PM – 11:00 PM and Artist will be present.
Exhibit Closes September 6, 2014
Open each day of Art-A-Whirl. May 16, 17, and 18, 2014
Artist Talk Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 5 PM / Limited Seating
- Airdome, Rhinebeck, NY 1991
- Belmont Stakes, Queens, NY 1980
- Orange County Fair, Middletown NY 1990
- Undercard, Madison Square Garden NYC 1983
- Xenon Disco NYC 1978
- Coney Island, Brooklyn, NY 1998
- Xenon Disco NYC, 1978
- Orange County Fair, Middletown NY 1989
- The Fun House Disco NYC, 1989
- Kentucky Derby, Louisville, KY 1990
- Mardi Gras, New Orleans, LA 1978
- Tavern on the Green, Central Park, NY 1994
- Holy Land Theme Park Orlando, FL 2013
- Alternative Fashion Show NYC, 1998
- Ninth Ave NYC 1996
- Church of Ascension, 107th St NYC 2012
- Jazz Dancers, Jacobs Pillow, Becket, MA 2008
- Bronx Zoo, Bronx, NY 2000
- Quechee, Vermont 2003
- Jacob’s Pillow, Becket MA 2007
- FDR Psychiatric Hospital, Montrose, NY 199
- Mount Rushmore, 4th of July, Rapid City, SD 2006
- National Cheerleaders Convention, Daytona Beach, FL 1998
- FDR Psychiatric Hospital, Montrose, NY 1988
- Ocean Beach, NJ 2007
- Catskill Game Farm NY 1994
- Gerry Cooney @ Gleason’s Gym NYC 1981
- Canal Street Subway Station NYC 1979
- Mayday Festival, Minneapolis, Minnesota 2008
- Jokhang Temple, Lhasa, Tibet 2010